The Associated Press is reporting that LaSalle Parish District Attorney Reed Walters won’t challenge the appellate ruling that sends the Mychal Bell case to juvenile court. The news comes from Louisiana Governor Kathleen Blanco’s office.
LaSalle Parish District Attorney Reed Walters had earlier said he would appeal the state appeals court’s decision that 17-year-old Mychal Bell’s second-degree battery conviction be set aside. The court ruled that Bell could not be tried as an adult.
Blanco said she had spoken with Walters and asked him to reconsider pushing to keep the case in the adult courts system. She said Walters contacted her Wednesday to say he had decided not to appeal the ruling.
“I want to thank him for this decision he has made,” Blanco said.
Looks like there’s a little political pressure coming from the Gov.